Parathion Pesticide Exposure and Attention Challenges
While attention conditions like ADHD have been studied for years, their causes still remain a mystery. Doctors and researchers have speculated how and why children develop learning and attention challenges, but recent studies have started to shed more light onto where these debilitating conditions may come from. Research has begun to suggest that children who are exposed to above-average levels of pesticides called organophosphates have a higher likelihood of developing these conditions. One of these toxic compounds is the parathion pesticide, thought by many to be one of the most toxic pesticides used in agriculture today.
Parathion pesticide poisoning is the most common reported kind of pesticide poisoning in people due to its high toxicity and prevalence in the treatment of cotton, fruits, and vegetables against pests like insects, rodents, and birds. Parathion pesticide has the highest likelihood of "non-target" exposure, most commonly in humans.
Since the parathion pesticide is used to treat commonly eaten foods and other popular materials like cotton, many people choose take extra precautions against exposure to this dangerous chemical. Some of the ways they attempt to help reduce parathion pesticide exposure, and also the likelihood of poisoning or other illness development like attention problems, include:
- Thoroughly washing all produce before eating
- Making sure food is cooked completely
- Washing cotton clothing before wearing
- Making preventative doctor visits a priority, especially with young children
If you or your child is experiencing symptoms of parathion pesticide exposure such as nausea, dizziness, headaches, sweating, twitching, or more, or you suspect your child has an attention difficulty that may or may not be due to pesticide exposure, contact your physician. He or she will likely be able to help better identify your condition and recommend proper treatment.