How to Use a Neti Pot Sinus Rinse
The neti pot is an ancient method used to help relieve nasal congestion due to colds and seasonal allergies. Even though neti pots have been used for centuries, they have recently been gaining a lot of popularity in modern medicine. But what exactly is a neti pot sinus rinse and how can it help you?
A neti pot look like a small teapot, and its main function is to flush mucus and other irritation causing debris from the nasal passage and sinuses. At first, the thought of using a neti pot sinus rinse may not seem very appealing, but thanks to its easy use and proven results, many people keep turning to this interesting tool for allergy relief.
To use a neti pot:
- Mix the solution of warm distilled or sterile water and neti pot salt until the salt is completely dissolved, and put it into your pot.
- Stand over a sink or other receptacle and tilt your head to the side.
- Insert the spout of the neti pot into the nostril that is facing up.
- While breathing through your mouth, pour the solution slowly into your nasal passage.
- The initial sensation may be uncomfortable, but it will soon pass. Keep breathing through your mouth and allow the rinse to flow through your sinuses and out the lower nostril.
- Once you have allowed the solution to drain out completely, repeat this process through the other nostril.
- After you have rinses both sides thoroughly, stand up straight and spit out any solution that may have washed into your mouth.
- Blow your nose to remove any leftover mucus and debris.