Eating for Weight Loss
Contrary to popular belief, eating and weight loss go hand in hand. While many diets will have you believe that food is bad and you should eat as little as possible in order to lose weight, quite the opposite is true. Healthy weight loss comes from building a better relationship with food, and learning what to eat and when.
Eating for weight loss should be a main part of your plan, and some helpful tips include:
- Make permanent changes - Healthy eating should be an evolution, not a revolution. It is important to make lasting change your eating habits, not to diet. If you temporarily eat less or only eat certain kinds of foods, you risk quickly put the pounds back on if you return to your previous eating habits.
- Eat slowly - Eating slower allows for weight loss because it gives your body a chance to process what you are eating more effectively. It also helps you to feel more full and satisfied with proper portions, instead of gorging on large plates of food quickly and then feeling uncomfortable.
- Drink warm beverages - Warm drinks help you feel more full than cold ones. Warm tea is a great, low calorie way to fill up between meals so you aren't tempted to snack on unhealthy options.
- Drink lots of water - The body sometimes can misinterpret thirst as hunger, so making sure you get enough to drink may curb unnecessary cravings for food.
- Eat fruit - Everyone loves fruit juice, but in many cases, these drinks are chock full of processed sugars. Also, actually eating the fruit instead of the juice is a great way to fill up on healthy snacks while getting the flavor you crave.
- Frequent eating - One of the number one rules in eating for weight loss is to eat more frequently. This doesn't necessarily mean eating more, but eating more often. Properly portioned meals and healthy snacks throughout the day can help to build healthy eating habits.
- Take baby steps - Weight loss doesn't happen over night. Take your time to build a strong base you can rely on even after you have lost the weight you want.
By following these simple healthy eating and weight loss tips, you can set yourself up for effective, healthy weight loss that may be maintained for years to come.